The narrative of Bandel Church starts with the primary Portuguese settlements in Bengal. Most students of history concur that in 1537 an Admiral Sampayo entered the waterway Hooghly with nine Portuguese vessels to help Muhammad Shah, the Pathan Nawab of Gaur who being hard squeezed by the renowned Sher Khan, had asked the Portuguese delegate in Goa for help. As a prize for their endeavors, the Nawab permitted the Portuguese to set up a production line at a spot near the present Hooghly prison.
In 1579 the Portuguese built a port on the bank of the river Hooghly. It turned into a focal point of exchange and business. To secure their advantage they constructed a fortress. They before long got the strict administrations of a little band of Augustinian friars from Goa. About the year 1580, a specific Captain Pedro Tavares, an incredible top choice of the Moghul ruler Akbar, acquired from him full freedom to lecture the Christian confidence openly and to raise chapels. In 1599 religious community and church were set up at Bandel, a town about a mile from the factory.
About the year 1622, Prince Harun, thereafter Emperor Shah Jahan, rebelled against his father Jahangir and asked the Portuguese lead representative at Hooghly, Michael Rodrigues, to assist him with men and cannons which he rejected. Shah Jahan who rose the seat in 1628, requested the Mughal Subedar of Bengal to eliminate the Portuguese. In the year 1632, the Subedar laid an attack on the stronghold. The Portuguese were double-crossed by one of their own warriors. The adversary was given mystery access to the fortress; their set ablaze the munitions stockpile claimed every one of the arms and exploded the strongholds. The hysterical individuals were slaughtered without benevolence. The lead representative was caught and consumed alive and more than 4,000 men, women, and children were made detainees and carted away to Agra, the then capital of the Mughal Empire. Every one of the chapels and other public structures was raised to the ground. The solitary spot which got away with slight harm was the religious community at Bandel. It should be borne as a primary concern that the Portuguese had blended with the nearby populace and at the hour of the attack, they battled along with the Portuguese against the trespassers.
At a stupendous Durbar in Agra, four savage, hungry, wild elephants made a scramble at the detainees. However, their rage disappeared and they developed quite. The greatest elephant moved toward Fr. Da Cruz a matured cleric, gotten him by its trunk, and set him on its back. It moved toward the Emperor, stooped down before him, and bowing its head, saluted him with its trunk. The group looked at this as help from above. They yelled that Christians were companions of Allah and ought to be liberated. Shah Jahan sent the Christians back to Bandel charging them to reconstruct the mission. The ruler introduced Fr. Da Cruz and the Christians with cash and 777 bighas of land in the town of Bandel around the religious community by a Firman. On getting back to Bandel they started quickly to modify the congregation from the remnants of the bygone one. Crafted by recreation was over in the year 1640.
The focal point of fascination at Bandel Church is the sculpture of Our Lady of Happy Voyage high up in the specialty on the highest piece of the façade. Initially, this sculpture was on the special stepped area of the military sanctuary appended to the Portuguese production line which was annihilated in 1632 during the attack of Hooghly. One trader Tiago attempted to take the sculpture to security to the opposite side of the stream. Be that as it may, struck by bolts he vanished with the sculpture in the water. During one turbulent night after the arrival of the Christians from the Agra, Fr. Da Cruz saw a weird light on the waterway bank and heard a voice like that of his old dealer companion Tiago calling him. “Hail, hail, hail to Our Lady of Happy Voyage who has given us triumph. Emerge, emerge, O father, and petition God for us all of us”. Right on time the next morning a few locals were seen close to the congregation yelling “Guru Ma” (the Blessed Mother) has returned. Shockingly Fr. Da Cruz tracked down the lost sculpture of the virgin a couple of yards from the door of the congregation. He set the sculpture on the fundamental special stepped area of the congregation. In 1910, the sculpture was moved to the overhang of the congregation.
While the festivals for the gift of the modified church were in progress a huge Portuguese boat showed up on the riverbank. The boat had experienced a fantastic tempest in the Bay of Bengal. The skipper, a profoundly strict man, had made a pledge to the Blessed Virgin in thanksgiving for being saved from the wreck: he had one pole of the vessel eliminated and introduced to the congregation. He had fixed it in the ground before the Church where it actually stands.